Time at Home







Ways to Contact Me

  • Skype: kalzebeta
  • Yahoo Messenger: kalzebeta

Yoga Party!

Yoga Party!
Check this out!

Blog Archive

Saturday, April 28, 2007

House Maid

Many women come here from Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and the Philippines to work as servants/house maids.

Most of them come over with agencies and live with the family they work for. They get paid about an average of $50 a month. They send almost all of the money they make home to their families. Most of their contracts last at least 2 years.

My Arabic Mom says that Sri Lankans smell.

I'm writing from khalti Saba7's house, Maysoon (my Arab mom)'s older sister, Saba7. They have a servant. She speaks English. She's been here for about a week.

The way servants work is they are ignored.

She works hard, has no day off, and can call her family maybe one or two times a week. She talked to her family once since she's been here. She's the same age as me, and we live completely different lives.

I asked her how she's dealing with the culture shock. She said it's hard, and she misses her family. I asked her about her country. I know a little bit about the Philippines, my first boyfriend having been a first generation half-filipino. She was very happy to talk about how many islands there are, how far she is from Manila, and the other chit-chat subjects I have when the topic of "The Philippines" comes up in a conversation.

I really feel for her. Maybe it's because I come from a place where servants and house maids are super uncommon. I mean, if we want to compare socio-economic status, Saba7's family is probably not as affluent as my very much middle-class American family, however compared to the rest of the people here...also, just having a servant is a type of status symbol, I'm thinking.

1 comment:

Joe Vasicek said...

At least she's not a sex slave in one of the big Asian cities (or Dubai). As hard as her life is now, she's truly blessed for that.