Time at Home







Ways to Contact Me

  • Skype: kalzebeta
  • Yahoo Messenger: kalzebeta

Yoga Party!

Yoga Party!
Check this out!

Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Idiot in the Airport

Yeah, so I had my first encounter with general American ignorance on the Arab-Israeli conflict. It happened today in the Chicago Midway Airport. Here I am on my way to my best friend's wedding in Oakland, CA. I had a layover in Chicago. I brought with me a book called, "The Lemon Tree."

Highly recommended read, I've only gotten through about 100 pages. It's a well written non-fiction account of a Palestinian who returns to his house in al-Ramla, and meets the Jewish lady who lives there. It goes through the whole history, from the early Zionists, up through at least the six-day war, and I think it will continue even after, through the second intifada in 2000. The best part about this book is the narration is mostly objective. I feel compassion towards both of the main characters, the Jewish girl and the Arab boy, and deep sadness/anger towards both sides' leaders. The book is helping me formulate specific opinions about specific leaders. For example, I think that Ben-Gurion is one of the most wicked and corrupt men of the 20th century, right along with Mufti Mohammad Al-Hussein. Sick. The book is very real, very alive for me; filled with references to places I've been, and phrases in Arabic that I understand, and just general cultural knowledge that I have lived. I can really put myself into this book.

So, I was sitting there, "putting myself into this book", and the lady next to me started asking me about it. First of all, who talks to a stranger in an airport who is in the middle of reading a book? I mean, somewhat elementary, when a book is opened towards a person's face, usually their mind is concentrating on the words inside, no?

She asked what the book was about, because she had seen it before, and before I could tell her she started telling me about a book she had read that she thought was like it. However, from what I could tell, the book was one of those fashion-politics books that go in and out of the print every other day. You know, that one section in Barnes and Noble with books that are meant to radicalize your viewpoints, titles like, "Why Bush Is A Horrible President."

She described this book that went through American politics from the early colonists and the stamp act, to President Bush in Iraq. So basically, the only obvious similarity between our books were that they both had to do with History. She then asked me if my book was about the six-day war, "You know, it really is incredible what the Jews were able to do! An absolute miracle, in 1967. They single-handedly defeated all the Arab armies...I mean, from a Christian perspective, this has been prophesied and prophesied."

I think I was kind of staring at her. When I finally opened my mouth, I said, "Well, this book is not really about that." She interrupted, "Oh, isn't it a story of a Palestinian and a Jew? Those Palestinians..." Before she could make some other pseudo-Crusader comment, I jumped in, "The book is quite well researched, it's a non-fiction account of a Jew and a Palestinian who meet because the Jew is living in the Palestinian's old house. You know, in 1948, when the UN gave the Jews large chunks of the land of Palestine, and hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were forced out of their homes..."

Here she cut in again. "But it was prophesied from the beginning. I mean, what a miracle that the Jews were able to defeat the Arabs! And now look at all the problems we have, radical Islamic terrorists everywhere..."

I was choking my rage. She wasn't even THERE, you know?

She continued, "And Israel has given back to the Palestinians everything they wanted in 1967, and there is still so much violence and hatred. I mean, every single thing they wanted, they've just given it right back."

Here, they started boarding the plane. Fortunately, the lady was in group A and I was in group B, so I didn't risk sitting next to her for four hours. I had completely had enough of her ignorant, one-sided, radical views.

In a calm stable voice, I pronounced,"I'd really like to see your source of information on that."

She kind of floundered, I guess not expecting me to confront what she must have esteemed educated and moderate opinions. "Oh, any news station!"

I have many Arab friends from many different countries, and different political views. Radicals, nationalists, communists, lovers-of-Islamic Monarchies, libertarians, NPR-loving liberal democrats - basically every different opinion possible. Despite all their differences, there is one opinion that is shared on all planes - a general disgust/disapproval for American Media.

Which I now share.

Even if NBC Nightly News, CNN, Fox etc. weren't fashion shows with a few random clips of soldiers walking around in Iraq, even if the general American public watched news stations like BBC World that are less flashy and spend more time on more relevant stories - the sad fact is that Americans are so stupid they wouldn't be able to process the information showed to them. Even if we had a more reliable media, the majority still would believe whatever felt best according to their religion - THE MAJORITY WOULDN'T CARE.

THE MAJORITY DOESN'T CARE.

I don't understand how this woman could come up with the brilliant idea that the Israeli government is suddenly sympathetic towards Palestinians, has given them back all of the rights and territories they possessed before 1967, and is advocating a two-state solution. The EXACT opposite is true, and this is something that I know because I have seen it with my eyes, I have been there, walked there, and talked with many different people - Jewish, Israeli, Palestinian...I feel like I'm going crazy.

I shouldn't have felt such anger towards this ignorant fool in the airport. I should have felt pity, even sorrow.

It's hard to feel sorrow for a people that willingly embraces ignorance, that clings to religious extremism instead of seeking out moderation and understanding of cultures and peoples. How can the majority of the citizens of my country stand to support such fanaticism and intolerance? Such complete disregard for the value of the Palestinian people, their religious and historical ties to the land, the blood they have spilled in this conflict? Arabs are our brothers. You claim to be Christian, yet you condone the atrocious acts of violence during the six-day war? How can anyone condone the preemptive strike of 1967? The Egyptian bodies piled in the sand?

Need to sleep.

No comments: