Time at Home







Ways to Contact Me

  • Skype: kalzebeta
  • Yahoo Messenger: kalzebeta

Yoga Party!

Yoga Party!
Check this out!

Blog Archive

Sunday, June 10, 2007

My First Entire Day Back Home

So Trevor picks me up from the airport. I feel like I'm in a time machine, sitting next to him, as if nothing happened. As if we were hanging out together yesterday. Except, I feel extremely nervous. I had butterflies in my stomach, and my head felt messed up. Not really sure what exactly that was all about; Trevor doesn't usually encite awkwardness in me. That was the best way to describe how I felt, AWKWARD. "Don't feel awkward!" he said. It didn't really help me to not feel awkward.

We eventually got onto one of the big explosive issues that was bound to come up from me having spent a semester studying Arabic in the Middle East - Palestine, and Israel, and my feelings about the Arab-Israeli conflict. That was interesting. Trevor will probably be the only person in the world to hear my unfiltered steady stream of conscious emotions on that subject. It's hard for me to open my heart up to people who smash it to bits and pieces with their apathy or ignorance. At least Trevor actually has a brain, or maybe it's just me and him on some other fifth dimension that doesn't have brains and the rest of the world actually does - but whatever the case, he really gets me.

My hair feels weird. I took two showers in France before coming home, and my hair was soft then, but my hair is like...I can't keep my hands off it. It's shiny, and soft, and smooth. It feels weird.

I think that it will be worth it to continue writing on this blog about my re-entry, and culture shock experiences. So far, it's just my hair.

Trevor really made me mad today. My family has the best intentions, and couldn't be more loving, but are sadly ignorant about the Middle East. I don't tire of explaining to them what a hijab is, or what people eat for meals, but I miss talking to someone who understands. Playing power games is not my style. I tried to call Trevor what felt like a million times, but always got his answering machine, the same stupid one that I have heard over 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 times...oh well.

My family prayed together. My Arabic family never prayed TOGETHER like that. It was a good feeling.

No comments: